First-time home buyer Kelly Sullivan knew to expect the unexpected when she and her husband, Sean, started looking for an east Cobb home last year. With Sean just having left the Army for a civilian job and a toddler in tow, the couple had one surprise remaining after their offer was accepted on their dream home.
The story you’re reading is premium content from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyAJC.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyAJC.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to AJC for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
AJC Print subscriber — I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
AJC Print subscriber — I’ve already registered my account.Sign In
Tips for preventing mold in your home
- Run a dehumidifier in your basement
- Run your air conditioner, even in your basement, and use a programmable thermostat to keep air moving
- Gutters and downspouts should be entirely cleaned of all debris
- Grading: The ground around the perimeter of the home should slope away from the foundation
- A plastic vapor barrier or a polyethylene plastic should be installed inside every crawl space to cover the dirt floor
- Inspect your home on a regular basis for mold and don’t ignore a potential problem area