Judge again halts deportation of Iraqi nationals


A federal judge in Detroit has once again temporarily halted the deportation of more than 1,400 Iraqi nationals, including four who were arrested in Georgia last month. 

In his 35-page ruling issued late Monday, U.S. District Court Judge Mark Goldsmith, nominated by President Barack Obama, pushed back against the Trump administration’s arguments that he doesn’t have jurisdiction in the case and that such matters should instead be handled in federal immigration courts. Civil and immigrant rights groups are suing to block the deportations, arguing the Iraqis – many are Christians and Kurds – would “face grave danger of persecution, torture and death” if they are sent back to their homeland. 

“The government’s view is inconsistent with the Constitution’s command that the writ of habeas corpus — the fundamental guarantor of liberty — must not be suspended, except in the rare case of foreign invasion or domestic rebellion,” Goldsmith wrote in his order. 

“Without warning, over 1,400 Iraqi nationals discovered that their removal orders — many of which had lain dormant for several years — were now to be immediately enforced, following an agreement reached between the United States and Iraq to facilitate removal. This abrupt change triggered a feverish search for legal assistance to assert rights against the removal of persons confronting the grisly fate petitioners face if deported to Iraq.” 

RELATED: Iraqis arrested by ICE in Georgia in limbo amid court battle

A U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman said her agency was reviewing the decision, declining to comment further. But Acting U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Thomas Homan objected to the judge’s last stay in the case, saying it did not “take into account the robust and already-existing procedural process to address petitioners’ claims as well as the clear public safety threat posed by these aliens -- the vast majority of whom are convicted criminals.” 

Goldsmith added that the Iraqis’ legal defense has been “significantly impeded” by the government’s decision to transfer many of them to detention centers across the country, separating them from their attorneys and families. The four Iraqis arrested in Georgia have been moved to a detention center in Florence, Arizona. ICE spokesman Bryan Cox issued a statement about their transfer, saying: “ICE routinely transfers detainees to other detention facilities based on available resources and the needs of the agency.” 

Goldsmith has set the next hearing in the case for Aug. 31.



Next Up in Local

Pedestrian deaths increase in Georgia, but why on the interstates?
Pedestrian deaths increase in Georgia, but why on the interstates?

Carrying a food tray in his hands, a 46-year-old man attempted to run across the westbound lanes of I-20. Tommy Lee Jenkins made it to the third lane, according to witnesses, before he tried to run back across I-20 to safety around 6:30 p.m. on a Wednesday. It was too late. A Cobb County man immediately applied the brakes when he saw Jenkins, but the...
Atlanta man accused of theft, identity fraud in DeKalb, Gwinnett counties
Atlanta man accused of theft, identity fraud in DeKalb, Gwinnett counties

A man who was arrested in October in Gwinnett County on theft charges is now being sought on identity fraud charges, Channel 2 Action News reported. “I have not taken anything from anybody,” Eugene Hunter said during his arrest in Snellville. However, South Carolina resident John Bowen and his son Eric sought help from Hunter when they...
Barcelona restaurant worker to 911: ‘Somebody’s been shot!’
Barcelona restaurant worker to 911: ‘Somebody’s been shot!’

From inside the bathroom of Barcelona Wine Bar, a sobbing employee called 911 for help. “Somebody’s been shot!” the woman told the operator. “Our boss has been shot.” It was one of four 911 calls placed early Sunday from the popular Howell Mill Road restaurant following a robbery and shooting that killed a 29-year-old...
Cops: 4 men stole $9,000 in guns, electronics from DeKalb pawn shop
Cops: 4 men stole $9,000 in guns, electronics from DeKalb pawn shop

DeKalb County police are searching for four men they say broke into a pawn shop and stole $9,000 worth of guns and electronics.  About 3:30 a.m. Monday, the men broke into the Candler Road Pawn Shop and made off with six long rifles, a replica Thompson submachine gun and two Sony PlayStation 4s, according to a DeKalb County police report. ...
Roswell sets open house on Elm St. plans
Roswell sets open house on Elm St. plans

Proposed improvements to Elm Street in Roswell’s historic district are the subject of a public open house at Roswell City Hall. The meeting is scheduled for 5 to 7 p.m. Nov. 28 in Room 220 of Roswell City Hall, 38 Hill St. Representatives of Southern Pines Construction Group LLC, a developer that has proposed subdividing a lot on Maple Street...
More Stories