Fulton jail no longer under court oversight


A federal judge on Thursday returned to Fulton County complete control over its jail, ending an 11-year-old lawsuit that has cost taxpayers about $1 billion in renovations, repairs and ongoing programs.

Problems at the northwest Atlanta lockup were so daunting that federal oversight lasted about five times longer than it has in similar cases, the judge said, pointing out that such cases are usually closed after two years.

At one time, the jail was so overcrowded inmates slept on floors, so unsanitary that raw sewage flooded cells, so unsafe that inmates could wander about because of faulty locks. Conditions would improve and then deteriorate again.

But U.S. District Court Judge Thomas W. Thrash finally determined on Thursday that the county had addressed the problems.

“This is a historic day,” County Attorney David Ware said.

This lawsuit — the fourth such complaint brought against the Fulton County Jail since it opened in 1989 — stretched over the administrations of three sheriffs. Only one of the current county commissioners, Emma Darnell, was on the board when the suit was filed.

County Commission Chairman John Eaves, who has spent much of the past several years trying to end federal oversight at the jail, said the county has worked hard to reach this moment. “I’ve been saying all along, we’re there, we’re there, we’re there,” Eaves said.

Thrash noted that federal law allows such lawsuits to be closed after two years; this one took more than a decade.

As recent as January 2013, almost seven years after the suit was filed, Senior U.S. District Judge Marvin Shoob rejected the county’s request to close the lawsuit.

It was only last year that locks on every cell door at the jail for 2,500 were replaced. The chief jailer said in court no inmate had been able get past the new locks and get out of his cell. And the county replaced or repaired plumbing, the heating and air system, elevators and wiring.

But staffing remains a constant problem, according to the court’s expert, Calvin Lightfoot.

In court Thursday, lawyers for the sheriff and the Southern Center for Human Rights, the organization that brought the suit, argued that there weren’t enough officers to cover the most critical posts. As a result, they said, gangs are running the cell blocks; inmates are committing suicide; and there are no deputies to escort nurses to give out medication or to escort prisoners to medical appointments.

Southern Center attorney Melanie Velez said there were “ongoing unconstitutional conditions,” all related to staffing. She presented a sworn statement from the jail’s medical director, who detailed how inmates were not getting initial physicals that might detect highly contagious conditions before they are released to the public.

“The sheriff does not have adequate staff to staff the jail,” Vaughn Dunnigan, the lawyer for the sheriff, said in agreement.

But Ware told the judge the county had done its part.

Taxpayers had spent “upwards” of $1 billion on this suit to renovate the building on Rice Street in northwest Atlanta, to rent beds in other jails and to implement accountability courts and other programs that would keep offenders out of the lockup, he said.

The Southern Center for Human Rights filed the complaint after a court expert in the preceding jail lawsuit wrote about horrific conditions, so much so that for the first time in two decades of visiting jails he refused to go into inmate areas. Robert Greifinger wrote in a May 2004 report he saw inmates milling about with no officer in sight. He wrote it was hot, dank and smelled. There were more than 3,000 men and women locked up, about 700 over the jails capacity. Inmates were three to a cell or sleeping on floors in common areas

Sheriff Ted Jackson, and Myron Freeman before him, complained county rules handicapped them and that they didn’t have enough money to staff the jail. But county commissioners and other Fulton officials said the sheriff was not managing the situation well. On several occasions, the county was ordered to “show cause” as to why commissioners should not be locked in the jail they resisted funding.

Thursday’s hearing stretched over four hours. Thrash said the situation now isn’t perfect, but “it’s the best that could be done.” He said the county and the sheriff’s office needs to continue to work together.

“I hope the board of commissioners will continue to fully fund the sheriff, and I hope he (the sheriff) will continue to maintain the jail in a constitutional manner,” Thrash said.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Engaged couple among 3 killed in wrong-way crash on Florida interstate
Engaged couple among 3 killed in wrong-way crash on Florida interstate

A Florida couple that became engaged last month was killed when a wrong-way driver slammed into their car Thursday night on Interstate 75, The Tampa Bay Times reported. LaShay Waiters, 24, and Yvette Alexandre, 21, were killed, along with the wrong-way driver, Justin Lakin, 21, near Gibsonton, located southeast of Tampa. The Florida Highway...
Massachusetts policemen help deliver baby boy 
Massachusetts policemen help deliver baby boy 

A baby boy was successfully delivered at home in Massachusetts on Thanksgiving night thanks to the assistance of the Stoneham Police Department. Chief James McIntyre said police received a report of a woman in labor around 11 p.m. Thursday. Officers Christopher Murphy and Michael Colotti arrived and realized there wasn't enough time to safely...
Marijuana dispensaries in Vegas get high marks from Black Friday shoppers
Marijuana dispensaries in Vegas get high marks from Black Friday shoppers

A Las Vegas marijuana dispensary added a new twist to Black Friday. “I’m Black Friday shopping for marijuana,” said 32-year-old Steven Smith as he waited outside the The+Source marijuana dispensary, The Las Vegas Journal-Review reported. Smith was hoping to score a free 1 gram pre-rolled joint with any $20 purchase, offered...
North Korea replaces border soldiers after defection
North Korea replaces border soldiers after defection

After dramatic video surfaced of a North Korean guard defecting across the border into South Korea, Kim Jong Un’s government has replaced nearly all of the soldiers who were stationed at the site where the escape took place Nov. 13, CNN reported. “North Korea replaced almost all of its troops, if not all, at the Joint Security...
Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named Time's person of the year
Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named Time's person of the year

President Donald Trump tweeted Friday that he “took a pass” at being named Time magazine’s “Person of the Year,” but the company’s chief content officer said there “wasn’t a speck of truth” in the president’s social media comment, CNN reported. >> Read more trending news &ldquo...
More Stories