Between the theaters of war and opera, Tomer Zvulun has weathered all kinds of drama in three action-packed decades of life. But nothing quite prepared him for a request from esteemed opera director Stephen Wadsworth in 2007.
The story you’re reading is premium content from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyAJC.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyAJC.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to AJC for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
AJC Print subscriber — I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
AJC Print subscriber — I’ve already registered my account.Sign In
8 p.m. Oct. 5, 7:30 p.m. Oct. 8, 8 p.m. Oct. 11 and 3 p.m. Oct. 13. $26-$133 plus fees. The Atlanta Opera. Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, 2800 Cobb Galleria Parkway, Atlanta. 404-881-8885, www.atlantaopera.org.
GETTING TO KNOW TOMER ZVULUN
3 Favorite Movies
1. Coppola’s “The Godfather, Parts I & II.” “An operatic tale of family, power, violence and ambition told in the most poignant and human way. It was the source of inspiration for a new production of ‘Lucia di Lammermoor’ that I directed for Opera Cleveland in 2010.”
2. Hitchcock’s “Vertigo.” “The ultimate suspense movie. Deeply psychological, intense and universally human.”
3. Fellini’s “Roma” and “Amarcord”: “They are inseparable for me, a tale of youth, family and love for life that is told in the most colorful, funny, human way. The inspiration for my production of ‘Gianni Schicchi’ and ‘L’heure Espagnole’ at Juilliard Opera in New York in 2011.”
3 CDs most listened to recently
1. Wagner’s “Ring Cycle”
2. Paul Simon’s “Graceland”
3. Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue”
3 Favorite Atlanta Restaurants
2. Restaurant Eugene
3. Cardamom Hill
In addition to responsibilities at The Atlanta Opera,Zvulun directs the following 2013-14 productions :
- Boston Lyic Opera: “Rigoletto” (March)
- Pittsburgh Opera: “La Boheme” (March)
- Kansas City Opera: “Der Fledermaus” (April)
PUT THE MY AJC LOGO HERE ……..
Go to MyAJC.com/sundayliving to see a video preview of the Atlanta Opera’s production of “Tosca.”