Suspected burglar steals lawnmower, faces arrest after gas runs out


Deputies arrested a suspected burglar Sunday after the lawnmower authorities said he swiped from a home in Kentucky ran out of gas.

>> Read more trending stories

McCracken County sheriff's deputies found Timothy Sams, 25, on Sunday afternoon after a person called to report a suspicious man who had several firearm cases on a lawnmower.

Deputies found several suspicious items on Sams, including guns, cases, jewelry and "a wallet that clearly did not belong to him," authorities said.

The Paducah man claimed to be the rightful owner of the items, deputies said. However, investigators learned that the wallet they found on Sams had been taken without its owners' knowledge from an attached garage on Gatewood Drive. The lawnmower and other items found on Sams were linked to a burglary on Palisades Circle.

>> Related: Man in stolen street sweeper leads police on 65 mph chase, police say

"Sams had made it approximately a half mile before the mower … ran out of gas," the McCracken County Sheriff's Department said in a news release.

Between the home on Palisades Circle and the spot where Sams was apprehended, "deputies (found) several items that had fallen off the mower during Sams' getaway," according to the Sheriff's Department.

A deputy was injured when Sams punched the deputy during an attempt to flee, officials said. The deputy's injuries were minor.

Sams was subdued and taken to McCracken County Regional Jail to face charges of first-degree burglary, third-degree assault and resisting arrest. Deputies are investigating to determine whether Sams is suspected of additional burglaries.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Amber Alert issued for Texas toddler
Amber Alert issued for Texas toddler

The Texas Department of Public Service has issued an Amber Alert for a 2-year-old boy from San Antonio who may be “in grave or immediate” danger, KXXV reported. The San Antonio Police Department said it was searching for Aaron Joseph Concepcion. The boy is Hispanic, 30 inches tall and weighs 20 pounds. The child has brown hair and...
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse

On day two of the U.S. government shutdown, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republicans would not adopt President Donald Trump’s call for a “nuclear option” to pass a budget with a simple majority, The New York Daily News reported Sunday. “The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,&rdquo...
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown

Led by Rep. John Delaney of Maryland, several members of Congress asked for their pay to be withheld during the government shutdown, CNN reported. “I don't think it's right for me to get paid during a government shutdown while my constituents are being furloughed and important and necessary services are being limited or halted all together...
Rev. Jesse Jackson sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church addresses government shutdown, border wall, health care
Rev. Jesse Jackson sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church addresses government shutdown, border wall, health care

The Rev. Jesse Jackson — a confidante of civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr. and who was with King as he was shot and killed on the balcony the Lorraine Motel in Memphis — preached from King's pulpit during the 11:30 a.m. service Sunday at Ebenezer Baptist Church. The visit came in honor of observing the 50th anniversary...
Firemen: Child igniting paper on space heater starts fire at Orlando apartment complex
Firemen: Child igniting paper on space heater starts fire at Orlando apartment complex

At least 48 people were displaced after a fire at a Florida apartment complex Saturday morning, the Orlando Fire Department said.  Firefighters said no one was injured in the fire that broke out at the Windsor Cove apartments in Orlando around 10 a.m. Fire investigators said a child igniting paper on a space heater caused the blaze....
More Stories