breaking news

Woman charged with arson lost home in divorce before Paulding fire

Christopher Plummer to replace Kevin Spacey in film

Scenes in ‘All the Money in the World’ will be shot again.


Kevin Spacey just lost a starring role in a major feature film — one that’s already filmed and set to hit theaters on Dec. 22.

Spacey is being cut from the finished production of director Ridley Scott’s “All the Money in the World” as sexual harassment allegations against him continue to mount. Christopher Plummer, 87, best known for his role in “Sound of Music” will replace him.

Such a last-minute recasting in a finished movie is entirely unprecedented. Even so, Scott is reportedly determined to keep the Dec. 22 release date and will be reshooting Spacey’s scenes in the film immediately.

Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner who hosted last year’s Tony Awards, has been accused of sexual harassment or assault by more than a dozen men since late October. The first to go public was actor Anthony Rapp, who told BuzzFeed News that when he was 14, the then 26-year-old Spacey made sexual advances toward him.

Fallout from the accusations has been swift. London police launched an investigation, production of his Netflix show “House of Cards” was suspended and he was cut from CBS’ upcoming “Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Special.”

“All the Money in the World” is about the 1973 kidnapping of 16-year-old John Paul Getty III in an attempt to acquire a ransom from his billionaire tycoon grandfather, J. Paul Getty.

Spacey, in the role of the elder Getty, spent eight days filming the movie alongside co-stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams. The latter two will reportedly participate in the reshoots.

Spacey promoted the movie on Twitter in September, writing, “J. Paul Getty had a fortune. Everyone else paid the price.”

The race to finish the movie in time for its original release date isn’t only about audience expectations. The movie is expected to be a prime contender for the 2017 awards season. But to be eligible for the Oscars, it must hit theaters before Dec. 31.

The movie was produced by Imperative Entertainment and Scott Free Productions for Sony’s Tri-Star.

Sony’s TriStar pulled the movie from the prestigious closing slot of the AFI Fest in Los Angeles earlier this week because of the allegations against Spacey.

The movie is “more than worthy of its place of honor in the AFI Fest. But given the current allegations surrounding one of its actors and out of respect for those impacted, it would be inappropriate to celebrate at a gala at this difficult time,” Sony’s TriStar said Monday in a statement obtained by the Hollywood Reporter. “However, a film is not the work of one person. There are over 800 other actors, writers, artists, craftspeople and crew who worked tirelessly and ethically on this film, some for years, including one of cinema’s master directors.”

“It would be a gross injustice to punish all of them for the wrongdoings of one supporting actor in the film,” the statement concluded.

AFI said in a statement that it supported the decision to postpone the movie’s premiere “in order to ensure the thousands of people who worked together on this film are honored at a proper time and in a proper light.”

Plummer was actually Scott’s first choice to play Getty, but studio executives pressured him into casting a more famous actor, according to the Hollywood Reporter.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Living

Sylvester Stallone assures fans he is 'alive and well' after death hoax goes viral
Sylvester Stallone assures fans he is 'alive and well' after death hoax goes viral

Actor Sylvester Stallone is the victim of a death hoax. A rumor claiming that the 71-year-old actor had passed away recently surfaced on social media — and he was not happy about it. >> Read more trending news  Stallone took to Twitter to express his annoyance. “Please ignore the stupidity,” the &ldquo...
‘Tragic mulatto’: Past depictions give way to today’s biracial pride
‘Tragic mulatto’: Past depictions give way to today’s biracial pride

It was nearly two centuries ago when writer Lydia Maria Child discussed what was a taboo topic in American life: the biracial children of slaves and slavemasters. Hailed by some as a champion of excluded groups in American society, Child’s goal in a short story titled “The Quadroons” was to describe the horrors of how they were treated...
Life with Gracie: Cobb teen engages kids with disabilities in martial arts
Life with Gracie: Cobb teen engages kids with disabilities in martial arts

On most any Friday night, you can find Marcus McAbee on the mat at Karate Atlanta Kennesaw. It isn’t the kind of thing most 16-year-olds will give of their time to after a long week of AP classes, but make no mistake, Marcus isn’t a typical kid. Never has been. Even at just 10, he knew as any good fighter does that sizing up your opponent...
Ron Clark students embrace African culture after “Black Panther”

A video clip of Ron Clark Academy students learning they would all be able to attend an early screening of “Black Panther” went viral . But as is always the case at the innovative school, the fun was paired with learning. “Yesterday, our students took a deeper dive into Wakanda as they...
In ‘Kumbaya,’ the culture of slaves’ ancestors comes to life
In ‘Kumbaya,’ the culture of slaves’ ancestors comes to life

We chant it with locked arms and closed eyes, at campfires, in protests lines and from the pews at church, but the truth is, many of us have no clue what the lyrics mean or exactly where they come from. Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya. Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya. Thanks to research and lobbying by residents of a coastal community descended from slaves, the...
More Stories