Kevin Spacey ‘suspended’ from ‘House of Cards’ as Netflix cuts ties with actor


Netflix has issued a statement saying it is cutting ties with Kevin Spacey following multiple accusations of sexual harassment against him.

BuzzFeed News reported that the streaming giant said it will not be involved with “House of Cards” if Spacey remains involved. Spacey is a lead in the show and an executive producer.

>> Read more trending news

The company also said it will not be releasing “Gore,” a movie starring Spacey. 

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film ‘Gore,’ which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”

Media Rights Capital, or MRC, the production company behind “House of Cards,” issued a statement soon after Netflix. The statement confirmed Spacey had been suspended from the series.

“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards,’ he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”

The statement comes after Anthony Rapp, a 46-year-old actor, told BuzzFeed News Spacey made a sexual advance on him when he was 14 years old and Spacey was 26.

Related: Kevin Spacey accused of past sexual misconduct with then-14-year-old actor

Spacey issued a statement after the story was published, saying in part, “I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.” He also came out as gay in the statement, which was criticized by many as an attempt to distract from Rapp’s allegation against him.

Shortly after Rapp’s interview was published, Netflix and MRC announced production on the sixth and final season of the show would halt until further notice. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the sixth season was in talks to be the final in the series since the summer.

Two episodes of season six have reportedly already been shot

Since then, eight people who have worked on “House of Cards” have made claims that Spacey sexually harassed them. Three others -- a journalist, a 16-year-old boy interested in acting and a military adviser who worked on set on one of Spacey’s movies have come forward in  a Friday BuzzFeed News report to allege sexual abuse. 

Related: 8 ‘House of Cards’ employees accuse Kevin Spacey of ‘predatory’ conduct

An earlier report from THR said Spacey will likely be written out of the final season. Spacey plays Frank Underwood, an ambitious politician in Washington.

“They shut it down to figure out how to write him out,” an unnamed source told THR. Netflix declined to comment on the report.

The Los Angeles Times reported Thursday night that Spacey’s long time publicist, Staci Wolfe, and talent agency CAA have split with the actor. Before cutting ties with Spacey, Wolfe issued the following statement on Spacey’s behalf on Wednesday: “Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment. No other information is available at this time.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Woman who killed two children in murder-suicide had no history of ‘mental problems’
Woman who killed two children in murder-suicide had no history of ‘mental problems’

Dozens of people gathered Sunday night in northwest Charlotte to remember three lives lost. Mourners lit candles and prayed for Isaiah and Iliyah Miller, as well as their mother, Christina Treadway, near their home on Sebastiani Drive. Police said Treadway killed her two children before killing herself along Interstate 485 earlier this month...
Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse
Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse

Authorities are releasing more information about the California “torture house” where over a dozen children were kept in subhuman conditions by their parents, including that the victims kept journals. >> Read more trending news  Though the children in the home, ages 2 to 29, were only allowed to bathe twice a year and eat...
10-month-old baby drowns after intoxicated mother falls asleep in tub, police say
10-month-old baby drowns after intoxicated mother falls asleep in tub, police say

A 35-year-old Melbourne Beach mother has been arrested in the drowning death of her 10-month-old baby, Brevard County authorities said. >> Read more trending news  Rosa Regina Feeney was arrested Monday and faces charges of aggravated manslaughter of a child and child neglect. Deputies said the investigation began Dec. 6 at Deangelo&rsquo...
3 sentenced in stomping that caused pregnant teen to miscarry brother’s child
3 sentenced in stomping that caused pregnant teen to miscarry brother’s child

Three members of a Texas family were sentenced to prison last week in the brutal 2013 beating and stomping of a 13-year-old relative who authorities said was raped -- and impregnated -- by her own brother.  Sharon Jones, 47, of Dallas, and two of her children, Cedric Jones Jr., 29, and Cecila McDonald, 28, pleaded guilty for their part in the...
Schumer’s ‘cave’? Shutdown deal puts spotlight on Dem leader
Schumer’s ‘cave’? Shutdown deal puts spotlight on Dem leader

Republicans tried to make Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer the face of the government shutdown. Now, he’s becoming the face of the Democratic retreat. For two days, Schumer, perhaps the most powerful Democrat in Washington, succeeded in keeping his party unified in a bid to use the government funding fight to push for protections for some...
More Stories