Hurricane Irma: FAQs on insurance coverage

  • AJC staff reports
3:30 p.m Friday, Sept. 15, 2017 Business Compton
September 12, 2017 St. Simons Island: A home on St. Simons Island is surrounded by water following Hurricane Irma on Tuesday, September 12, 2017, on the Georgia coast. Curtis Compton/

Living expenses, like temporary housing if flood damage makes your home uninhabitable, are not covered by a federal flood insurance policy. Some supplemental policies cover temporary living costs, but that varies among insurers.

Outdoor property isn’t covered.

It covers replacement costs of actual damages, up to $250,000 for a building. If you have separate coverage for contents, they are insured for up to $100,000. The amount varies based on actual damages and the deductibles you chose.

IN-DEPTH ON MYAJC: Irma victims now may face insurance struggles

The Disaster Unemployment Assistance program provides payments to those whose jobs or self-employment are lost or interrupted as a direct result of a major disaster. Applications can be made at any Georgia Department of Labor center. Those who qualify may receive benefits for up to six months if they are unable to return to work due to damage from the hurricane. Note that those who are self-employed are also eligible for this program.

If you have comprehensive car insurance, it will pay for flood damage to a vehicle. But if you only have liability insurance, you are not covered.

Regular renters insurance doesn’t cover flooding. But renters’ policies may cover damage from high winds and heavy rain.

Who Pays for Cleanup if Your Neighbor’s Tree Falls in Your Yard?
View full experience