For those Falcons' fans looking to start their, "The NFL is out to get us" conspiracy theories for the upcoming Super Bowl against New England, here's your ignition switch.
The league announced the officiating crew for the game in Houston. One name stands out above all others: Todd Prukop, backjudge.
Remember when streaking Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones was dragged down by Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman in Week 6 but pass interference was not called? It was Prukop who was responsible for making the call in the play. Coach Dan Quinn went ballistic on the sideline on the non-call and even the normally even-tempered Jones complained loudly. (See video)
For what it's worth, ESPN.com recently did a story, titled, "2016 NFL officiating awards: Best and worst calls." Prukop was part of a crew that was singled out -- and was the officially mostly responsible -- for an incorrect ruling in the New York Giants-Detroit game in Week 15. A four-yard pass to Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was ruled a catch despite visual evidence that the ball hit the ground and rolled between Beckham's leg before the wide receiver picked it up.
News of the officiating crew was released after the Falcons' locker room access on Wednesday.
The entire officiating crew for the Super Bowl: Umpire Dan Ferrell (who also worked the Seattle game), head linesman Kent Payne, line judge Jeff Seeman, field judge Doug Rosenbaum and side judge Dyrol Prioleau.
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes. All episodes also can be downloaded and heard on iTunes or via WSBRadio.com. Two new episodes every week.
Recent blogs, columns, soup recipes
- Eugene Robinson understands why he's still Super Bowl talking point
- Falcons, Pats got some help from Cleveland on way to Super Bowl
- Falcons' win and Super Bowl birth crowning moment for owner Arthur Blank
- Pats open as 3-point Super Bowl favorites but I like Falcons' chances
- Never mind legacy: Matt Ryan is proving his greatness now
- Shanahan reads attack -- focused on Falcons, has no deal with 49ers
- Shanahan likely to take 49ers job; Blank spoke to 49ers' York
- Falcons have Arthur Blank dancing (but, fortunately, no Mohawk)
- Podcast blog (audio): Tony Gonzalez on career, acting and a Super Bowl for Falcons
- Tony Gonzalez didn't win title but says this is Falcons' time
- Kyle Shanahan could follow in father's footsteps with 49ers ... if he wants to
- Why are Falcons favored? Scoring average in last 6 home games: 35.7
- NFC title set: Falcons' road to Super Bowl not easy but this is game they can win
- Matt Ryan: 99-yard drive, a playoff win and a timely meeting
- Falcons have been transformed into team Atlanta has waited for
- We're about to find out if Falcons' young defense is ready for playoffs
- Podcast blog: Morten Andersen on career, Hall snubs, Vick, more
- Falcons get Seahawks again -- and will interference get called this time?
- Want a parade, Atlanta? Falcons are your best hope
- And so it begins: Hawks deal Korver, start their rebuild (podcast added)
- Suddenly, nobody wants the Falcons' Kyle Shanahan to leave
- Where do Quinn-Ryan rank on NFL's list of coach-QBs in playoffs? My list
- Julio Jones: Kiffin's departure is 'small thing' for Saban, Alabama
- Hawks need change and that may mean trading Paul Millsap
- Falcons welcome back Michael Vick, and expect more of this (podcast added)
- Never mind fade vs. Saints, Falcons look like Super Bowl team
- With upset of North Carolina, Pastner has brought pulse to Tech
- Georgia finishes season on a needed high note
- Eason's struggles should have been expected but he'll be better next season
- Kirby Smart hopes to end this season's learning curve with a win
- Quinn a coach of year candidate (and looking back at Rex Ryan)
- This could be Falcons' window in NFC South
- Why this will be my final Hall of Fame vote
- Strong finish could push Matt Ryan to MVP award