Kirby Smart isn’t saying who will start at quarterback in Georgia’s opener against North Carolina Saturday, even amid indications that freshman Jacob Eason will start over Greyson Lambert. There are only three possible reasons why Smart wouldn't announce his starter.
Here's my breakdown from Monday's No News For You (!) Conference:
What Smart said: "No starter’s been named. We'll get those guys ready. We'll let you guys know."
What Smart meant: "Do you think I wasn't prepared for that question?"
Between The Lines: Smart either 1) Knows who will start but wants to keep it quiet until kickoff, or at least until the day before, when the team is sequestered in a hotel (favorite); 2) Is heavily leaning in one direction but wants to be sure in the next few days of practice to see how his candidate looks (also possible); 3) Really has no idea (extremely unlikely).
What Smart said (on playing "multiple" quarterbacks): "We'll see how it goes. The first thing I have to do is figure out who's taking the first snap before I worry about the next guy who will come in. But I think it will reveal itself in the next couple of days."
What Smart meant: "Keep trying. I can figure out as many ways to not answer your questions as you can figure out how to ask them."
Between The Lines: I believe if Eason starts, and he will play the entire game unless he runs into trouble. Otherwise it makes no sense to take him out. If Lambert starts, both quarterbacks will play. The difference: Eason needs playing time to develop and would be the starter in the near future regardless.
What Smart said (Eason recently handling more responsibility with playbook): "He's done a good job. We've done a little more game-planning. We'll make the decision based on the next couple of practices."
What Smart meant: "Guys, I went to media training school in Tuscaloosa. Give it up."
Between The Lines: Smart actually had an opening here if Eason was struggling. He didn't take it. Personally, I think that was telling.
What Smart said (announcing a starter just to clear the air): "It's a burden to you guys but it's not a burden to me. For me the most important thing is making the right decision and who's going to go out there and be successful. It's never over. It's continuous, just like who the right corner is."
What Smart meant: "It's a burden to you guys? Yea, I win."
Between The Lines: I don't know if I buy into the whole "gamesmanship" narrative about Smart not wanting to tip-off North Carolina. The Tar Heels' defensive game plan doesn't tip on this decision. I think it's more about protecting his starting quarterback for a few more days. My guess is he hasn't told either one of them, either. But he will soon.
If it's even close between Eason and Lambert, then Eason will start. My guess: He starts.
- It's 'Sack Schultz' time, suckers: Win Chick-fil-A Bowl tickets or $2,500
- Falcons reminding all: These games don't count
- Predicting Georgia Tech's season: game-by-game (from AJC special section
- Keanu Neal injury 'minor' but Falcons can't afford any bad news
- (Full Q&A) Chipper Jones likes Braves' future but says moves needed
- (Blog) Chipper Jones: Braves need moves but he likes future (and being back home)
- Eason will be Georgia's best QB but that doesn't mean he's best now
- Will Turner Field be Eden for Georgia State football?
- Ryan Lochte wins 'pariah medley' -- loses all 4 endorsement deals
- AP poll got it right but Dogs, Jackets will rise (and watch out for LSU)
- What does future hold for Braves' starters -- and Roger McDowell?
- Turner Field plans would be closer to 'dream' if they included Braves
- Preseason Overreaction, Week 2: Ryan, offense ease 'fears'
- Part of Braves' future (Swanson) arrives -- everybody please breathe
- Can Falcons' pass rush finally put Bryan Cox in a good mood?
- A-Rod may join Bonds in Miami? It seems so wrong but so right (UPDATE: Never mindl)
- Bill Curry knows: Georgia Tech needs a unifying presence for A.D.
- SEC correct to give Maurice Smith waiver, now it's time to junk rule
- Julio Jones rarely lost at Alabama, and he's tired of losing with Falcons
- Preseason Overreaction, Week 1: Matt Ryan is the No. 3 QB (kidding!)
- Maurice Smith: The player who caused Nick Saban to surrender
- Georgia Tech was dysfunction junction under Mike Bobinski
- Mike Bobinski won't be leaving Georgia Tech in great shape (update)
- Paul Johnson is at his best when people expect the worst