When the Falcons defeated Green Bay last week to win the NFC championship and advance to the Super Bowl, few were more excited than Charles Barkley. Yes, Charles Barkley.
"He was so was excited, you would have thought he was going to the Super Bowl," Falcons defensive end Dwight Freeney said.
I spoke to Barkley for a column on Freeney that will be posted Sunday on MyAJC.com (Monday's print edition of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution). He and Freeney have been friends for several years and both live in the same midtown hotel -- Freeney during the season, Barkley when he is in town for his TNT work.
Barkley did not make a prediction for next Sunday's Super Bowl between the Falcons and New England, but he said, "I'm rooting for the Falcons and I'm rooting for two guys: Dwight and Julio Jones (an Alabama native). I would love to see both those guys win it."
Asked if he just became a Falcons fan, Barkley said, "I root for the Falcons because I’m from Alabama and they’re our pro team. And I was pleasantly surprised when Dwight came to Atlanta after a year in Phoenix. I met him at Michael Jordan’s golf tournament a while back and we’ve been friends since. I just respect him as a player, but I like him a lot as a man."
Barkley joked that he hoped to parlay his friendship with Freeney into tips on improving his conditioning.
"The thing I was hoping to utilize was, it’s amazing how well he takes care of his body, and I was hoping to use his knowledge to get myself in better shape, to be honest with you," he said. "I just want to be walk-around skinny. He has this really convoluted, amazing, time-consuming regimen that he does to take care of his body."
I'll have more from Barkley in the Freeney column.
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes. All episodes also can be downloaded and heard on iTunes or via WSBRadio.com. Two new episodes every week.
Recent blogs, columns, soup recipes
- Jalen Collins' hard road to success is finally paying off
- Todd Prukop, official on non-call in Seattle game, is on Super Bowl crew
- Eugene Robinson understands why he's still Super Bowl talking point
- Falcons, Pats got some help from Cleveland on way to Super Bowl
- Falcons' win and Super Bowl birth crowning moment for owner Arthur Blank
- Pats open as 3-point Super Bowl favorites but I like Falcons' chances
- Never mind legacy: Matt Ryan is proving his greatness now
- Shanahan reads attack -- focused on Falcons, has no deal with 49ers
- Shanahan likely to take 49ers job; Blank spoke to 49ers' York
- Falcons have Arthur Blank dancing (but, fortunately, no Mohawk)
- Podcast blog (audio): Tony Gonzalez on career, acting and a Super Bowl for Falcons
- Tony Gonzalez didn't win title but says this is Falcons' time
- Kyle Shanahan could follow in father's footsteps with 49ers ... if he wants to
- Why are Falcons favored? Scoring average in last 6 home games: 35.7
- NFC title set: Falcons' road to Super Bowl not easy but this is game they can win
- Matt Ryan: 99-yard drive, a playoff win and a timely meeting
- Falcons have been transformed into team Atlanta has waited for
- We're about to find out if Falcons' young defense is ready for playoffs
- Podcast blog: Morten Andersen on career, Hall snubs, Vick, more
- Falcons get Seahawks again -- and will interference get called this time?
- Want a parade, Atlanta? Falcons are your best hope
- And so it begins: Hawks deal Korver, start their rebuild (podcast added)
- Suddenly, nobody wants the Falcons' Kyle Shanahan to leave
- Where do Quinn-Ryan rank on NFL's list of coach-QBs in playoffs? My list
- Julio Jones: Kiffin's departure is 'small thing' for Saban, Alabama
- Hawks need change and that may mean trading Paul Millsap
- Falcons welcome back Michael Vick, and expect more of this (podcast added)
- Never mind fade vs. Saints, Falcons look like Super Bowl team
- With upset of North Carolina, Pastner has brought pulse to Tech
- Georgia finishes season on a needed high note
- Eason's struggles should have been expected but he'll be better next season
- Kirby Smart hopes to end this season's learning curve with a win
- Quinn a coach of year candidate (and looking back at Rex Ryan)
- This could be Falcons' window in NFC South
- Why this will be my final Hall of Fame vote
- Strong finish could push Matt Ryan to MVP award