HOUSTON -- Falcons owner Arthur Blank wore a red sports jacket for his Super Bowl news conference Friday, which coming off his red-jacketed celebration at the NFC championship game against the Green Bay Packers, led me to ask the obvious question.
Have you taken that off in the last two weeks?
Blank: "This is a different jacket from the game. It's not the same one."
Me: How many red jackets do you have?
For what it's worth, Blank plans to wear a dark gray suit with white pin stripes. Guess he doesn't want to push the red jacket mojo.
The Falcons' owner said he's "not nervous at all" about Sunday's Super Bowl against New England.
"I’m anxious for our team to get going," he said. "I have great confidence in our coaching staff and great confidence in our players. I’ve seen them perform all year long. When they had to perform against the Saints and the Seahawks and the Packers, they’ve done it. They’ve beaten two quarterbacks in a row (Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers) that have been to the Super Bowl and been very successful and another quarterback who has all kinds of NFL records. So we’re used to competing against the best and being successful. We will have to be at our best to be competitive against the Patriots and coach (Bill) Belichick and Tom Brady and others."
Blank also had some interesting comments in my Sunday print column (online now) about how a championship would forever redefine the Falcons' franchise. Here's the link.
A few other comments from the Falcons' owner Friday:
• On being approved as an NFL owner 15 years ago this week: "I haven't slept in 15 years."
• On the team reaching the Super Bowl: "It's not ending of a journey for us. You have to raise the bar. That's what you're always trying to do in the world of business and it's the same in the world of sports as well."
• On the league's disciplining of the Patriots and quarterback Tom Brady for "Deflategate," given his friendship with New England owner Robert Kraft: "As a close friend, I felt badly. I felt badly for (Kraft) and his organization. I'm privy to the same facts that you are read the same things you have. There was a due process the league felt it had to follow, in terms of player discipline, and I felt that was the right thing to do. The fact the commissioner decided a suspension was appropriate, I think that was all part of the process. I don’t think the commissioner felt it had anything to do with it being New England and Tom Brady. I don’t think names have anything to do with it."
• On what dance he would do if the Falcons win the Super Bowl: "It would be the dance of the emotion of the moment, whatever that dance is. Just being spontaneous. It’s sheer joy."
Blank on his game day routine
Blank on success going into a new stadium
Blank on dancing
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes. All episodes also can be downloaded and heard on iTunes or via WSBRadio.com. Two new episodes every week.
Want to catch up on Falcons and Super Bowl columns? Well, pull up a seat
- Grady Jarrett seeks a better Super Bowl ending than his father's (Jessie Tuggle)
- NFL's red carpet night will have to do without Matt Ryan -- he's busy
- Taylor Gabriel's unlikely rise with Falcons seems heaven sent
- Roger Goodell a neutral party? Not likely in this Super Bowl
- Falcons' pool report: Julio fine, players dance, 'Brotherhood' signs
- Super Bowl: 3 Falcons, 3 recruiting stories and no Julio for Auburn
- Dan Quinn speaks in bumper stickers, but message getting through
- Falcons to block most of staff from Shanahan; Chip Kelly a legit option
- Digi-blog goes to Super Bowl opening night - where bar always gets lower
- Pioli, Dimtroff get their moment against Belichick and Patriots
- Falcons' Super Bowl win would be perfect ending for Freeney's career
- Super Bowl odds: anthem, Lady Gaga's hair, Ryan vs. soccer game
- Falcons' toughest Super Bowl opponent might be stage, not Patriots
- Charles Barkley pulling for pal Freeney and Falcons in Super Bowl
- Jalen Collins' hard road to success is finally paying off
- Todd Prukop, official on non-call in Seattle game, is on Super Bowl crew
- Eugene Robinson understands why he's still Super Bowl talking point
- Falcons, Pats got some help from Cleveland on way to Super Bowl
- Falcons' win and Super Bowl birth crowning moment for owner Arthur Blank
- Pats open as 3-point Super Bowl favorites but I like Falcons' chances
- Never mind legacy: Matt Ryan is proving his greatness now
- Shanahan reads attack -- focused on Falcons, has no deal with 49ers
- Shanahan likely to take 49ers job; Blank spoke to 49ers' York
- Falcons have Arthur Blank dancing (but, fortunately, no Mohawk)
- Podcast blog (audio): Tony Gonzalez on career, acting and a Super Bowl for Falcons
- Tony Gonzalez didn't win title but says this is Falcons' time
- Kyle Shanahan could follow in father's footsteps with 49ers ... if he wants to
- Why are Falcons favored? Scoring average in last 6 home games: 35.7
- NFC title set: Falcons' road to Super Bowl not easy but this is game they can win
- Matt Ryan: 99-yard drive, a playoff win and a timely meeting
- Falcons have been transformed into team Atlanta has waited for
- We're about to find out if Falcons' young defense is ready for playoffs
- Podcast blog: Morten Andersen on career, Hall snubs, Vick, more
- Falcons get Seahawks again -- and will interference get called this time?
- Want a parade, Atlanta? Falcons are your best hope
- And so it begins: Hawks deal Korver, start their rebuild (podcast added)
- Suddenly, nobody wants the Falcons' Kyle Shanahan to leave
- Where do Quinn-Ryan rank on NFL's list of coach-QBs in playoffs? My list
- Julio Jones: Kiffin's departure is 'small thing' for Saban, Alabama
- Hawks need change and that may mean trading Paul Millsap
- Falcons welcome back Michael Vick, and expect more of this (podcast added)
- Never mind fade vs. Saints, Falcons look like Super Bowl team
- With upset of North Carolina, Pastner has brought pulse to Tech